Can pies possibly be one of many good-tasting keto bomb dessert recipes (paleo desserts) and sugar-free desserts? And still taste great? The answer is yes. In fact, with sweeteners like xylitol and erythritol, both of which are great for baking, you can enjoy virtually any dessert, pastry, or cold treat that you used to enjoy with sugar—and know that it’s keto friendly.
When you’re on a ketogenic diet or Paleo diet, the regular pie crusts won’t cut it any more. They’re made from flour–and that won’t work. IF you eat them, they will set your progress towards ketosis back a few days–minimally.
You need a good pie crust substitute when you’re making sugar free desserts in the pie category. The answer to this is actually pretty easy.
Simply grind up nuts, add a little flavor and sweetener and try it as a pie crust. You might like the flavor better. (I do – and occasionally if I sample a bite of a regular old style pie, when I taste the crust, I think to myself how unflavorful it really was.)
This cinnamon nut pie crust goes well with most Paleo desserts pie fillings or Keto desserts pie fillings. It also goes well with a sugar free ice cream (low carb ice cream) added as a topping, and then topped further with a coconut milk whipped cream. The possibilities are endless. Below is an example of tasty keto bomb dessert recipes.
- The reason why you’re baking the crust at a low temperature is to avoid overbaking. This is especially important when you are adding a filling that needs to be baked.
- When you remove the crust from the oven, it should be partially baked, not fully baked. The rest of the cooking time with the filling added will finish off the baking of the pie crust.
- Some cooks will take extra caution that the pie crust on the sides of the pan will not burn. To do this, they may decide to cover the edges of the pie pan with tinfoil. It’s an easy strategy to implement.
How to Vary Keto Bomb Dessert Recipes
- You could change the nut mixture in this recipe. Why not add brazil nuts and minus the pecans? Or use primarily walnuts with only ¼ cup almonds? Or add ¼ cup cashews and decrease the walnuts? Whatever your heart desires in the nut category, give it a whirl.
- You could change the spice mixture in this recipe. You could go for more of a pumpkin pie spice combination with allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon. Or even a chai tea spice combination with cardamom added.
Have you tried any of our other sugar free desserts? Check out any of these:
- Macadamia Almond Brazil Peanut Brittle (yes, it’s in the keto bomb dessert recipes / low carb Paleo dessert recipes section)
- Real Lemony Lemon Cupcakes
• Chocolate Dairy Free Keto Ice Cream, a low carb ice cream and sugar free ice cream